Furniture Design Catchup March 8 2019



I fallen behind in my 3D model due to a block but I'm almost caught back up.

I'm using sound to create parametric values for generating my furniture, in this case a set  of chairs as a test sample, I still need to attach some supports and finish joining some objects however I've found it's been successful so far.






What we're looking at is 3 designs I rendered out from my grasshopper script. The first one is noticeably geometric, this is my control test which I used processing to generate a image of random noise.

The image is 1 dimensional as in I recorded the amplitude of noise in a strictly horizontal format. For the song originally was using a plotted graph to record magnitude however in Grasshopper reading this information would require that I map an entire grid across the image and extract the values from that point list which would have been difficult an inefficient. I switched to this 1 dimensional pattern and set the amplitude to the darkness of the lines so that it becomes a gray scale gradient that can be mapped to a single line using pixel values from 0.00 to 1.00. 

The actual construction of the chairs were a network of sub-curves that were transformed into place and modified for desired amplitude of lines and patterns cut from the sections of the song. It was particularly difficult to keep track of all the fine tune modifiers even with proper commenting. Adding modifiers that properly scaled components when changes to curves and dimensions occured was particularily difficult and even now I've gone back to find they are missing balances. 

Moving forward I need to finish the prototypes which I believe should produce well using foam and cardstock as well I have yet to test the design with other song profiles. The current one is using an acoustic Drum and bass song. I would like to try other genres like classical, electronic, or orchestral as well as perhaps some sound effects.

Plotted Song

Gradient 1D Song profile
Song Profile mapped to set of interpolated points

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furniture Final